Helping feed our Boulder County kids
Food drive for school kids
in Boulder County
Fundraiser Sept.1-Dec 1.2020
Gofundme goal: $3,000
Open call to artists: See below for details
10,000 students of Boulder County are affected by food insecurity. Let’s unite to help feed our Boulder County kids. WE are mobilizing 20+ local artists to decorate food crates into sculptural attractions to grab attention for a food drive. The crates will be located at drop off points at businesses around Boulder County to remind people that we can overcome this period through solidarity, compassion, and generosity. $20 is equivalent to 6 school lunches. $100 can feed lunch to a classroom of poor children. We need $3000 toward this project and $2000 toward general operating funds to continue community art actions like this one. Please donate to this upcoming creative community action.
We are also looking for artists to decorate a crate. Please contact us if you’d like to decorate one!
Guidelines for Crate decorating
- Theme 1 famous character/leader (MLK, Ruth Ginsberg, Prince, Statue of Liberty, etc.) see below to make character cut out. Please choose a well-known leader than anybody would recognize and be able to name)
- Theme 2 Imagery according to the type of business venue (i.e. gym, library, surf shop, sporting goods store, dry cleaners) Please contact us so we can match you with a business. It could also include a character or no character
- Deadline November 1-14th (late deadline Nov 20th, but we prefer by the 14th at the latest)
- Size of crate: 12.5″ x 17″ x 12″ or 15″ x 18″ x 12″ (we provide)
- Material of crate: wood
- Materials allowed: Think colorful, bright, cheerful, eye-catching, sculptural, unique. Materials such as paint, assemblage, glitter, fabric, collage, ceramic. No sharp objects or objects protruding more than 2″. Use sturdy glue so objects don’t fall off. If using paper collage, wheat paste it to weather protect it. (Spray varnish is not enough) No reproductions (photos) of other people’s artwork unless it is a photo collage.
- Signage: Paste (with wood glue) 4″ round wooden logo on crate.(contact us to pick up logo) Paint signage in bold letters large enough for people to read – Dare to Care,-Helping feed our Boulder County Kids (On front of crate or on character wood cut out, see below. )
- Download QR code and print out, cut to size and paste/glue (DO NOT TAPE) under Dare to Care signage
- Signage cut out/character cut out instructions: *If you select a character, prepare an Illustrator file (or app that you can use draw a .001 stroke outline and export as svg) for the laser printer and get it cut for free at the BLDG61 at the Boulder Public Library. Make an appt and follow directions. To learn how to prepare a file to be laser cut go here. Export as an ‘.svg’ file (BLDG61 only takes .svg) compress it into a zip file and upload it to the link they send you. Or you can cut your own silhouette with a jig saw. Size should be no larger than width of the crate ~ 12.5″(15″ on apple crate size) and height no taller than 20″ from top of crate. Make at least a 3″ bottom margin to nail/screw cut out on backside of crate. See image below
- Contact us Pick up /Drop off crate. Make sure signage is on crate or we can’t accept it.
- Documentation: Take a high resolution picture of your crate and another one with you the artist and the crate. Email us the photos once you are finished.
Wood cut out examples below. Outlines can be for guidelines when you paint your character. Notice bottom margin for attaching to create. You can also make a text box for sign like the example on right to put the signage ‘Dare to Care-Help feed our Boulder County kids!